Monday, August 12, 2013

We have had quite the adventures
on our journey to Kenya, all starting 7 days ago!!

Micah's first plane ride - LOVED IT!!

First our flight from London was canceled due to a fire that destroyed the airport in Nairobi.  Then we were delayed in London for several days - thankfully, the airlines put us up in a hotel and paid for our stay, with three meals a day. They were very accommodating to us!!  

 (Three VERY zonked kids!!)

 Touring Hounslow, London on a double decker bus

When we arrived in Nairobi, very late Friday night, check in was completely disorganized due to the terminal being completely destroyed, thus complicating the check in procedures.   Which were very rudimentary and back to old school of doing things.   After a two hour wait in the tent to get our passport stamped, we made it to the luggage claim area , which basically they just piled all the luggage onto the runway and you had to search for your pieces in the dark. Very interesting to say the least.

Out of 18 pieces of luggage, checked in, only 10 arrived with us.   We reported our missing pieces and were told to come back each night to see in any more would arrive in later flights.  All that to say, we made it out of the airport 3 hours after we landed.

Saturday, we
celebrated Tim's 44th birthday!  His first birthday in Kenya, filled with thankfulness for the blessing of another year!!

Sunday, jet lag finally caught up with our family.  We took the opportunity to abide by God’s appointed “Day of Rest”.

Great way to start the day!!

Today, we were able to take our kids for their first peek at our new home.  It has about 14 more days of work left to be done.  At that point, then we can begin to possibly shift into our new digs.  

Kenyan Chai - the BEST! 

Micah's first experience with the monkeys! 

The remainder of our day, we took the boys shopping for school supplies and haircuts, registering our new "used" van and getting it insured and finally being able to drive it home. So, excited to have our family wheels!!  

Since Sat, Tim has returned to the airport each night to pick up any luggage that continues to trickle in from the 8 that were/are still in transit. Most nights he doesn't get back here to our guesthouse until well after 1:30 in the morning. Praying that tonight, he is able to pick up the final two pieces that are left yet to come.

Thank you all for praying for us!! It has been quite the adventure so far...but one thing we are very sure of - We are here because God has called us to be here. He never promises that life will be easy...but He does promise to ALWAYS be with us and He is in control of ALL things!


  1. Thanks for the update! Always praying!

  2. So excited for you! The fire, that was something else~my hubby was in Kenya for an exploratory trip and he thought he might be stuck there (which actually was a happy thought for him lol). God bless you as you embark on this adventure with Him!

  3. Love the updates...peace and blessings...and returned luggage!