We have been reflecting on many things lately, especially in lieu of the
events of over a week ago that shook and greatly affected the people
of this city, this country, this nation
and even parts of the world.
Its moments like that, when you are most vulnerable, is when God begins to show more clearly of who He is, what He wants to say to us and Who our perspective is to be fixed firmly on.
Its times like this that we must draw our eyes off the situation and focus firmly on Him, back to His purposes, His Kingdom plan, ultimately what God is wanting to do in and through each one of us.
How this must grieve God's heart. God's heart is that none should perish.
Yet in the midst of the perishing…
His light, His hope, His peace will continue to go forth.
We are reminded again why we are called to be here
That there is a lost and dying world, full of evil around us,
who desperately need to know Jesus.
He is the ONLY truth, the ONLY way and the ONLY life.
Without Him, there is no hope, no peace and no salvation.
A large part of what we are doing here is to train and equip others to bring that message of Hope and Salvation.
The Kelly family and
YOU back home
are called to carry the message of:
"Christ in us, the Hope of Glory"
Many of you know of our year long effort to raise funds to not only get here to Kenya, but to more importantly start and set up our family/household here, and begin to minister and fulfill the responsibilities and leadership roles we have been called to take on.
Our objective goal was to raise $130,000.
You helped us raise about $110,000.
Praise God for His faithfulness, through the hundreds of selfless gifts and sacrifices many of you have made in order to see us reach that goal.
We initially, felt that what had been raised was significant to get us here, knowing full well that the additional $20,000 left to meet our goal was the amount we needed to purchase a ministry vehicle. We believed that at a later time, we would focus on raising funds for that.
Our intention was to take the first few months to settle in,
before we began to focus on that need.
However, in lieu of circumstantial events, the knowledge that in less than 8 months Tim will be completely shifted into his new role, his ministry schedule, training and responsibilities have been commencing forward.
Tim has started focusing on becoming actively involved in ministry related responsibilities: such as meetings, building relationships with key contacts, regular travels to up country through rugged terrain, busy schedules, language school starting this next month, meeting with people, etc.
All to say, his schedule does not often coordinate well with the kids school schedule of drop off and pick up times along with ever changing traffic patterns and delays in daily travel commutes.
With just the use of one vehicle, it puts a strain on the things that need to be done every day - daily life. If our van were to have problems (which it did sunday), we would be stranded with no means to accomplish those things we have to get done each and every day.
We have been very frugal and careful with our delegated funds, thus far.
HOWEVER: life has thrown us a few setbacks that we had not anticipated nor prepared for:
1) Visa entry's that we so desperately needed to ensure our stay in Kenya was delayed and shut down for well over into a month past our arrival.
2) Our shipping container which had arrived unexpectedly 3 weeks early ahead of our arrival, and then because of the visa delay - forcing us to pay an additional $10,500 of taxes and duty fees in order to regain possession of it.
3) Our house, (which we are still waiting to get in to - 8 weeks later) prevented us from moving our container items in - forcing us to purchase a stationary container to lock our possessions in until we can move in - an additional $3,000
3) New Kenyan laws that require children attending school to pay an additional visa fees in order to go to school: additional: $300
Tim has been scouting around Nairobi, with the assistance of someone who knows vehicles, has found a vehicle that will work well for our needs and well suited for what it is intended for:
2000 Land Cruiser GX (14 yrs old)
4WD, diesel engine
Strong and durable for rugged terrain
Capacity to hold our family plus a few extra passengers
Very good shape and condition
The asking cost is: $33,000
(remember that vehicles are twice as expensive as in the states - no matter how old they are)
Here is where we are asking you for your help. We need to raise this amount in a very short time to purchase our ministry vehicle. (Vehicles tend to sell very quickly, especially if they are in good - to very good condition.)
Please will you consider doing one or some or all of the following:
1. We need you to PRAY with us. Will you intercede on our behalf - asking for God's provision for this need?
2. SHARE our need with others. Its amazing how often it is easier to ask for others rather than for ourselves - especially if you believe in what is being asked for.
3. PARTICIPATE - perhaps you have a fundraising idea or can take part in promoting one that is already ongoing. If 1,000 people donated $33 each...we could meet that goal. Perhaps you don't know a thousand people - but if you share with three people who then share with three more...and on and on it goes from there.
4. GIVE - if God puts in on your heart, and you are able to give, every amount matters - whether big or small.
When we were praying about this need, we clearly felt God telling us to share our need and to "ASK" our readers, our supporters, our Facebook friends, the blog world.
We don't know how God will work this all out. We do know that God is asking us to take yet another "leap" of faith and to trust Him.
Thank you for allowing us to share this with you!
Thank you for your partnership in all of this - big or small!
**IF you feel led to give towards our ministry vehicle fund:
Please message us through either:
FaceBook: Kelly’s in Kenya Page
for more information as to where to send your donation
and how it is to be made out.
We love and appreciate you! Your prayers and support is beyond priceless to us!! We value greatly the hedge/wall of protection that your prayers provide for us daily!!
May God bless you abundantly above and beyond what you can imagine!
Tim and Chrissy
McKenna, Tom, Kaden and Micah